Saturday, December 1, 2018

The Moose is Loose

Another Copplestone Casting 15mm barbarian.

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. 2/3rds of the way through, I thought about swapping out the puny axe with something a little longer and more fantasy-oriented. As someone said on the 15mm fantasy miniature Facebook page, he's more likely to hurt himself or his steed with that axe than an opponent. However, I was too far along and decided not to.

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Crisis at Tipping Point!

Again, ignore the date of the paper:

Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Ominous Weather Ahead

A little out of date, but war is on the horizon:

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Moe, Larry, and Curly; and the Sensitive Pit Fighter Dude

I've been all over the place project-wise for the last two months. As a result, I have not had time to update my blog. I'm trying to expand and finish up my 15mm barbarian army. Way back in May, I posted on Copplestone Picts that I painted up. I just finish these guys below and am now working on a bunch of Demonworld barbarian humans. Then, I will start the Copplestone ones.

Copplestone Snow Trolls




These guys were a little daunting, but once I got going on them, they took off. I wasn't feeling all that original, so the overall paint scheme of hair and skin is pretty much like what is shown on the Copplestone website.

Sensitive Pit Fighter Dude

This guy is from Battle Valor Games. I think I got him as a bonus figure. I had a hard time figuring out what was going on between his armor shoulder pads and his "kilt." I finally decided that he was bare chested and painted accordingly.  His sword is a little thicker than I'd like it to be, but I'm pretty happy with him. 

Why a pit fighter; i.e., gladiator? I chalk that up to his light armor and brandishing two weapons. Why is he a sensitive dude? His beard and hair style reminds me of a fashion that's going on among men between the ages of 21-30. My colleagues and I coined it the "sensitive dude" style. I know, I'm mean. It probably sour grapes because I'm 57 years old and am loosing my hair.

Here below is an encounter between the pit fighter the awesome threesome:

Monday, October 8, 2018

Aircraft Maneuver Ratings

I've been wanting to do this for quite some time, but Jim, over at Jim's Wargames Workbench has spurred me on. I am compiling ratings on all the aircraft that I use for my games. By ratings, I mean the numbers used in various rules for undergoing maneuvers. Then, I am figuring out the ratings for the two rules that I plan on using, Target Locked On, and Wings At War.

To me, maneuvering is the most esoteric of the various abilities that need to be modeled for a particular set of rules. Some rules use Thrust/Weight ratios, some use Wing Area/Weight ratios known as wing loading, and for others, I have no clue. The data is not as easy to come by as one thinks. There is a web site that has T/W for a number of aircraft, but when I do the calculations for some of the planes, they don't agree. So what I have done is to compile the ratings for maneuvering for a number of rules and then see what the consensus is among them. For example, Saab JAS-39 Gripen has a T/W = 0.93, Wingload = 532, and is rated at maximum maneuverability by both AirWar: C21 and Missile Threat. Therefore, I give the Gripen a maneuver rating of 5 for Target Locked On.

Wings At War is a different story as it uses power ratings, but I am trying to figure that one out too.

The really big challenge in this is for aircraft that are not found in any rules. For example, ratings for  the joint Chinese/Pakistan JF-17 Thunder is not found in any of the rule set I have. For these cases, I just have to compare T/W and wingload for those planes that are listed and estimate from these.

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

1/600 Paper Building

I've been trying to make some quick and dirty building for my 1/600 moderns. Here is a paper building I made recently. It is a "proof-of-concept" prototype model to see how I can make them with an arcade. Its pretty simplistic, but I am pretty happy with it and can easily scale it up to 1/300. I have access to Adobe Illustrator, so I can make modifications pretty quickly. The arched openings of the arcade would probably be smoother if I had one of those computer stencil cutters, but for such a small scale, I am not going to be too picky.

Initial build before I added the roof and base.An
Oddzial Osmy BTR-60 is parked outside.

Roof and base added, then quickly painted. The
windows were inked in with a Sharpie pen.

Here is what it looks like next to a 1/285 building, which is a
Mediterranean villa from Gamecraft Miniatures

Monday, September 17, 2018

A Warm Post Over at Irishserb's Miniature Adventrures

I've been following Irishserb's blog for quite some time. He has an engaging ImagiNation campaign going on between two fictional African nations. In addition to that, he has some other gaming activities that he shares that are also good reads.

Recently, he decided to use 1/300 scale minis to play out some bigger battles between his two African nations. In a recent post, he pulls out some rather old model buildings that represent his home town of Steubenville, Ohio. It is one man's walk down memory lane. Not only are the buildings well done, but his narrative really really reflects a love and appreciation for where he grew up.  It is not often do I feel a connection with another gamer's blog post beyond the hobby itself, but this one did and you and I who read it are better for it.

Thanks Irish Serb for sharing with us.