Saturday, February 27, 2010

Karl and Bambi completed

So, here's Humankind's last hope against the machines....

Big Karl and Bambi

Karl and his little friend

Bambi showing off her assets

I decided on the desert theme for their bases. Bambi's cactus was make out of sculpy. The first version of it had tiny pin pricks in it to look like where the spines came out. It looked cool, but it got badly burned while baking. So, in my "f--k it!" mood, I just made the second one without them.

Karl's rattlesnake was twisted copper wire. The head was a tiny piece of wood that I glued on. Rattlesnake heads should not be that long, but it popped off a couple of times while I was trying to reduce the length, so, I didn't want to mess with it anymore.

Originally, I was going to glue sand directly onto the base. I tried it but the grains looked too big plus they easily chipped off regardless of what glue I used. So, I used the same technique that I have been using for my 1/300 buildings. A combination of paint and baking soda. I also mixed in a little bit of sand to give it more texture.


  1. Very nice work, Chris, and some inventive ideas for the bases - I'm glad that the cactus doesn't have any spines, though - Bambi isn't exactly dressed for it! :-).

  2. No, she isn't! Plus I think she needs more SPF 50 suntan lotion on her. She's pretty pasty for standing around in the desert.

  3. Good job, Chris. I like the caption, "Bambi showing off her assets." She does have cool sunglasses and boots. :) The baking soda, paint, and a bit of sand mixture is perfect.