Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Lavonian Fire Support Vehicles

I ordered some really nice but very fragile FSV version of the Polish RTO Rosomak infantry fighting vehicles in 1/600 scale from Shapeways. They weren't cheap, but I thought I'd take a chance and see what they were like.

Sorry for the bad picture, but here is how they come. You get 10 mounted on sprues:



The plastic used really shows the details, BUT its very brittle. While painting on the primer, a wheel broke off of one. I am very weary about the guns holding up especially when gaming.

Here is what they look like painted up:



The top picture is a comparison with Pico Armor's Rosomak IFV (on left). The Shapeways model is a litttle bigger and the side skirt armor is more extensive.

I messed up a little on the color mixture. I didn't want to spray them Army Green as I was worried the paint would melt the models, even with the acrylic primer.

Nice models, I just hope they don't break.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, 3D printing sure has come a long way in just a few short years. In fact I was having this very discussion with a friend at Salute last week. Now if the price can come down a little....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the prices are rather high and I have the feeling they will remain so for some time.. Here is the link for Shapeways vendor: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/micro-master
    There is a lot of variation on the prices as opposed to GHQ, for example, where all packs are the same price regardless of what's in them. I think the price reflect not only the amount of materials used but also how long it takes to print something.Since a vendor is producing a one-off model rather than casting a large quantity of models, prices are going to stay high. I do have to say, however, that those Saab 105 trainers weren't all that more expensive than getting them from Heroics & Ros, or more so, GHQ.

    In addition to what I said above, unlike 6mm models that can be kit-bashed and such, I can't see making modifications to 3mm figures.

    ReplyDelete