Thursday, August 1, 2024

International Naval Wargaming Day

 So, this Tuesday, August 6th, is International Naval Wargaming Day. As you all know, I spend a lot of time talking about having game, but rarely actually having one. This year, I will. Part of my motivation is that for the foreseeable future, I have a 6' x 4' table! Bottom line is that my wife got two 6' x 4' folding tables. These things have become pretty darn expensive over the past 5 or 6 years and I can't get myself to buy one. Its not clear if this is a permanent acquisition, but she said that I can use it. I just need to move it into the garage. Not the best place to game in terms of both climate control and lighting, but it will have to do. 

The question is what to game? The thing is, that I will have to have the game either Saturday or Sunday. Monday both the boy and I start school and Tuesday evening he has Boy Scouts Honor Court. This is where everyone in his troop gets the various merit badges they've earned since the last one. I'm pretty sure he will get at least three badges. Because of this, I have to set up something somewhat quick and dirty. Its unlikely I will have time past the weekend. 

Here are my possible choices:

1. Pre-dreadnought game using cardboard top view ship counters. I was planning on building some scratch built ships made out of popsicle sticks and such, but I have been too deep into painting fantasy figures to switch gears. The rules I will use is Gridded Naval Wargames by Bob Cordery. I really like these rules despite have to be on a grid (sorry, not a huge fan). I've played a few games before with them and they capture the flavor of the period. I will employ my 6' x 4' hex games mat. 

2. Modern game. Again, I will use cardboard ship counters. I already made a bunch of them for my modern ImagiNation universe. For the rules, I will probably use Bulldogs Away!

3. WWII. I have amassed a whole bunch of  Figurehead 1/6000 ships. Some of them have been painted and based. It will be very a-historic, maybe the German navy battles it out with the Japanese navy. Who knows? I might either use Find, Fix, and Strike naval rules by David Manley or Nimitz by Sam A. Mustafa. I also have the latest edition of Victory at Sea, but that might take longer to set up than I have time for. 


1 comment:

  1. Ah! Decisions... decisions: I can relate to that! I have a number of campaigns I want to begin... but which one? Why just one? So... haven't begun any, though I've thought about at least five...
    Cheers, and good luck!
    Ion

    ReplyDelete