Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Gnolls

I am still busy painting fantasy figures. Here are my latest: Gnolls (Hyaenamen) from Splintered Light Miniatures. Originally, I bought the gnoll warband, but it turned out that they are the same as their Hyaenamen line, so I bought more to build a larger army than what you get from the warbands.

Rank and File
I used a Raw Sienna craft paint followed by a highlight of raw sienna and Vallejo flesh color for the highlights. I think did my usual black ink wash.

Standard Bearer
The standard was kind of boring. Its just two sticks with some feathers hanging from it. So I found some 25mm plastic skulls in a bin box. There were from Fortress Figures and I had used them on the stands for my 28mm Terminator miniatures. I drilled a hole and the bottom of the skull and glued it on. Looks much better than before!

Leader & Drummer
Apparently, Gnolls have a matriarchal society. Just to be different, I gave the general blonde hair. I couldn't tell if her top was made out of cloth or skins or was an armor breastplate. I chose the armor route.

Shaman
The shaman is my favorite of the bunch, at least I think she is painted the best. I didn't want them to have an African theme, but I wanted a little more to her and the general's outfits. I did a cheetah or leopard spotted outfit for both. I think the shaman's turned out better than the leader's. I have no clue what her staff has on the top of it, so I went with copper. 

I have a lot more to go including more rank & file, archers, some elite female warriors, and some riders mounted on large hyaenas. However, I'm kind of getting burnt out on fantasy painting. Also, I noticed that I seemed to be painting stuff as quick as possible to put up on the Facebook 15mm fantasy page. I guess its an inducement to get a lot painted, but at the same time, I wonder if I'm rushing through just to post stuff up on Facebook; bowing to social media as it were. 




No comments:

Post a Comment