Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Thoughts about Campain Maps

I hope this does not bore you, but I am thinking out loud here. Maybe some of you have thought about this too.

I am building my final touches on my campaign map for my Bovatopian campaign. I am not really ready to post it, but a few things that I am working on/struggling with. What I have been very deliberate as I put together this map is the need for geographical locations to be strategically important. This is the problem with my map of Gambusia. I really didn't make it with a strategic game in mind. Here are some issues that I now see with my Gambusian map:

1. Lines of Communication
Wikipedia defines lines of communication as the routes that connect an operating military unit with its supply base. First, and probably the most major problem is that there are too many lines of communication in the form of roads and to a lesser extend railroads. Armies of both sides can easily bypass various towns or cities. Urban centers have no strategic significance in terms of blocking or cutting off the enemy, or keeping lines of communication open. The only urban centers that are important are the capitals of the opposing nations.

2. Cities and Towns
In addition to too many roads, there are way too many cities and towns. It is likely that the two are related. Too many cities and towns leads to too many roads.

3. Reasons for Naval Operations
When I started my Gambusian campaign I envisioned having naval battles as well as land and air battles. I've come to notice that the two main antagonists share such a long border that there doesn't seem to be a need for any naval battles, other than some of the islands that could be contested. I suppose the two nations can blockade each other to keep supplies from coming in, but because the ports are on opposite ends of each nation, there'd be too much risk involved for each nation to set up a blockade.

How to fix the problems? Look at board games
Sadly, I got rid of many of my old Avalon Hill games a long time ago, however, I stated looking at those that I do have to see how I can set up strategically-important lines of communication. I do have VASSAL installed on my computer, though I've never figured out how to use it. I can pull up the digital versions of old wargames and see how they do things. I am using the Bovatopia campaign to resolve these issues. When I am happy with Bovatopia, I will then redo Gambusia.

5 comments:

  1. Points 1 and 2. Though the intricacy and scope of the lines and nodes of communications can be a problem, it can just as much for that very reason present an interesting strategic challenge. If the armies are fairly small, then you have the problem of small armies operating within a wide strategic theatre. You would probably find in such an environment plenty of use for cavalry!

    I'd have to ask what period we are looking at. If from, say, 1850 onward, things like railways, heavy industry, might tend to channel and focus strategic movements.

    If earlier times, then you scope might tend to be temporal rather than spacial, warfare being 'limited' to territorial claims, the excuse for which can easily be generated.

    One of the reasons for naval operations might be seen less in maritime theatres as riverine - a major navigable waterway artery running from one nation to the other. The one side has access to the ocean; the other the benefit of the current.

    Given the limited sea-going prospects of either to establish an effective blockade, there is a deal to be said for commerce-raiding operations, and attacks upon convoys. That would probably place considerable value upon spies within each other's sea-ports, somehow conveying intel upon mercantile shipping movements...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris, just send a second e-mail with more thoughts about the map. Too long to post here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just interested as to whether this campaign will ever continue. It had the look of a good story. Do you still have your OOBs and would you be willing to shar them if you do, thanks. John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,
      Are you referring to my Gambusia campaign or the new Bovatopia campaign? My biggest enemy is time or the lack of. Even though I've been working on the Gambusia campaign forever, Bovatopian is a little further along only because I am putting in bare bones pre-gaming energy into it. But in either case, I have no plans to abandon either. I will definitely share them both.

      Delete
  4. Thank you Chris! I was initially referring to Gambusia, but Bovatopia looks good too.

    ReplyDelete