Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Update: Life Goes On

 Its been forever, or at least it seems like forever since my last post. The culprit: my house. We've been thinking about this for years, but finally, we are remodeling our main floor of our house....pretty much ourselves! The floor is the first, and probably main thing that is being done. 


This is a job for a younger man. Even wearing knee pads, its killing me. My wife is helping a lot, though her constant obsessing with the smallest measurements is not really helping. The other issue is that its only now that we are putting down the floor. The last three weeks have been nothing but prep work. The people who built this house were idiots. But hey, I got to use a nail gun! And, my Dremel tool has been put to good use cutting the flooring. I also learned to take all YouTube home-improvement videos with a huge grain of salt. Nothing every goes as smoothly as they show (see above comment about the idiots who built this house). 

So this is the state of things for now.  Laundry, washing dishes, my teaching, all that other stuff have gone out the window. I'm lucky that my kids get fed. My hobby daydreams are the closest I get to things for now. One other thing I want to mention. I am a lucky man to know people who can lend some time, even if its just for an hour or two to help. Both my boss and a friend from church who is a retired software engineer who seems to know a lot about this stuff and has almost all the tools I need have been helping a lot. Without them, I'd be swimming in quicksand.

2 comments:

  1. Home renovations are no fun at all, but I've never taken on a project as ambitious as yours! But there does ensue a certain satisfaction when the thing is done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pep talk! Its slowly moving along.

    ReplyDelete