Saturday, August 20, 2016

More Stone Walls

I've been spending my last two weeks messing around with making more efficient stone walls. I made a mold and used various casting media, got varying results, none of which I was completely happy with. So, I went back to the slow, tedious method of building up the walls by repeated gluing layers of model railroad ballast. I was a little happier this time around than I was with the sheep pen. Here is another small farmstead. I am not quite done with it, but you get the general idea of things.

Here is looking down on it:


Here is a more street level view:


This time, I used a super glue gel, rather than the liquid type. I got much better control even if it dries slower. One thing learned for next time is to put in the gates first before laying down the walls. What I also plan to do with this one is to get is a coat of diluted white glue. Some stone pieces are more tenuously glued than others.  That will help hold the whole thing together better. The main thing that still eludes me is how to make the top of the walls level. The super glue gel helps with this, but its still far from perfect.

This project has sort of burned me out on terrain making. I've got one more terrain piece I need to make (a truck stop), but I really just want to start gaming.

3 comments:

  1. Could you make the top flat by building the wall upside down? Make a shallow form to hold an unglued layer of stones and then build up successive layers of glued stones as you are. Once finished, invert the wall and voila, the new top is relatively flat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. H-m-m, that's a good idea!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks very promising. A chum of mine did a lot of stone walls using a product called Gorilla Glue, a little more robust than super glue.

    ReplyDelete